Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Individual, the Herd and Choice

Individual vs. Herd
Most vaccine proponents speak of what's best for the herd. My question is, when did it become necessary for an individual to lose their rights for benefit of 'the herd'. My opinion is quite strong with regard to this and you may find some of my words and thoughts offending. If that is the case, then you are welcome to stop reading this blog. I make no apologies for the things I am about to say.

You will find that most parents who use the "herd mentality" as an argument in support of the childhood immunization schedule are the ones who are uneducated on the subject entirely. "If you don't immunize your child, then you're putting mine at risk of disease." Really? But I thought your child was immunized? How can my unvaccinated child infect your child if your's is vaccinated? "Because vaccines aren't always 100% effective", they say. Really? So that means, theoretically, even if my child WERE vaccinated, he could STILL infect YOUR child who is ALSO vaccinated? The fact that my child is unvaccinated, does not create a certainty that he will become sick to infect your child with anything. To hear of parents being called 'unresponsible' or 'reckless' or being alienated out of their pediatrician's office, due to their decision not to vaccinate their children, makes me ill.

When it comes to health matters, my responsibility is to my children. Your responsibility is to yours. Do not try to guilt trip me into vaccinating my children for the sake of the "herd" because it's not going to work. When it comes specifically to administering vaccinations, I care only about my children. They are my responsibility, first and foremost, before a 'herd' of anyone or anything.

Pro Choice, Anyone?
Vaccination, at the present, is a choice. If you're a parent, do your due diligence on the subject and get educated. If after researching vaccines and the childhood schedule, you're still comfortable with the program, and you decide to vaccinate your children, that is your choice and it should be respected. If I, on the other hand, am not comfortable with the immunization schedule after doing my own research, and decide to opt out for my child, then that is my decision, and should be respected as well. There should be no pressure to vaccinate, just education, so that everyone can make an informed choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment